"A couturier must be an architect for design, a sculptor for shape, a painter for color, a musician for harmony, and a philosopher for temperance." ~ Cristobal Balenciaga

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Art Of Fashion Design Competition

Hey all :)  So, as this is my first blog EVER, I wanted to share one of my favourite things with you - fashion sketches!  


These are the sketches I submitted to the 2010 Art Of Fashion Design Competition.  The theme was "La Belle Époque."  My interpretation of the theme reflects a modern adaptation of elements from the golden era (e.g. Edwardian tailoring, leg of mutton sleeves, bustles, ruffles, lace, luxurious fabrics and trims).  Some of my designs lean toward the elegant, more refined side of La Belle Époque, while others depict the notorious Parisian cabarets of the era and a darker side of glamour.  This spectrum of light and dark is illustrated by the use of fabrics, colours, and the amount of skin revealed.  The desired effect is sensuous, but never vulgar, indulgent but not indecent.  


Anyway, I hope you enjoy them!










2 comments:

  1. really lovely sketches & i like your description as well, i will b looking forward to more from you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I really appreciate your support! Please leave your blog address, and I will repay the visit! :)

Corinne xo