"A couturier must be an architect for design, a sculptor for shape, a painter for color, a musician for harmony, and a philosopher for temperance." ~ Cristobal Balenciaga

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cellissimo

Dear Readers,

It's a rainy night here in Toronto, and I hope it's a sign that Spring is finally on the way because one of the best things about warmer weather, for me anyway, is being able to go on an outdoor photoshoot expedition :)  It's so entertaining to come up with interesting new locations to set my designs against and just have fun with the camera.  Also, it seems much easier for me to find a good spot outdoors rather than indoors, and the pictures almost always turn out better too.

My sister, Kathleen, whom you have met before in this blog, is one of my favourite models and, lets face it, is also the most readily available model who is willing to be coaxed into doing a photoshoot ;)  She is a gorgeous girl and lovely cellist.  Last Spring, for her graduating Master of Music Cello Recital, we went forth into the brisk Spring air to take some photos, which I later used to make her recital posters, invitations, and programs from.  I was inspired by the Chanel and Dior Spring/Summer 2010 ad campaigns and used them as guides for art direction and styling ideas.

Here are the original ads.  I love the absence of bright colours.  Everything, even the black, is pale and muted, almost unnaturally so.  In the Chanel ads, the stark contrast of black and white is strangely unified, blended by the diffused light.  The Dior ads (from back in the John Galliano days, pre-ruined reputation & probable Ricardo Tisci at Dior / Haider Ackermann at Givenchy takeover, which I'm sure I will have something to say about in the near future, after the dust settles) really play up light and dark by using the blinds to create interesting shadows.  I also love the use of hard architectural structures (doorways, stairs, walls) in both ads and how they simultaneously contrast with and complement the garments, suggesting a time, place, and story.









images via: Mama's a Rolling Stone, Nitro:licious, Hidden Garments, & YourStyletrend.com

Now here is my interpretation, using the cello (and a few hats) as a prop.
(The dress is from Jacob and is not my design.)  




















I hope you like the photos!  Hopefully there will be more to come very soon!!

Corinne

xoxo

17 comments:

  1. Great photos! Very inspiring!

    XoxO
    Plami

    http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ * ♥ * ~

    What a fun photo shoot Corinne ~ I really like the last few pictures; I think that they look really editorial. The hats are gorgeous too!

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. So incredible. I love how you re-interpreted these ads. I love the shot of your shoes with the cello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post, your photos and most of all your vintage style!
    Greetings from Greece! I am following you now. Please follow me too!

    xoxo
    http://filmwardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are brilliant. I have just dicovered you through IFB, and I do think your photos are add a new and personal twist to taken your own pics.
    Have a superb weekend Corinne.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, great photos, you're really talented! :)

    - www.itsanewkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos -- gorgeous girl too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful posts!! i love how your blacks muted too, just like you noticed in the campaign inspiration. great idea for a photo shoot :)

    well done!- wish i had a sister to photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind comments :)

    Corinne xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos. Great work.

    Ryan
    http://www.fashables.com/w

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are incredible photos, and your sister really is the perfect model! Congrats on making it into links a la mode. This post certainly deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful!!! I'm glad it made it to Links a la mode(where I found it).

    artfullyartista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely photos, I love the archways you used!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Corinne. Was browsing through your blog and this one is great. Love your reinterpretation. That cello did work great. I love how you describe the ad campaigns too=)

    ReplyDelete
  15. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post! Fashion

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I really appreciate your support! Please leave your blog address, and I will repay the visit! :)

Corinne xo